Kyle's Visits!!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Decorating a Shorts Outfit



Hi, I'm just a messenger today.

Sarafina wrote up this message about how she turned shorts and a white puff sleeve T-shirt into a matching outfit.

If you like to give your clothes a personal touch I hope you will find an idea here you want to try and will enjoy.

In addition to the shorts and T-shirt you will need: 
                        
              1 small embroidery needle
              3 small yellow glass beads
              yellow thread
              scissors
              a ruler
              embroidery thread in the color you prefer
              chalk pencil or other way of marking fabric

Start by finding the center front of the T- shirt and deciding how far down from the edge of the neckline you want the center of the flower.  Place a small dot at this point with your pencil.  

(Note: I made the flower first then added the bead for it's center.)

I used 3 strands of embroidery thread and made the "Lazy Daisy" stitch for my flower and gave each flower 6 petals.  I did these freehand.  There are plenty of sites on the internet detailing this stitch if you don't already know how to make it.

(Note: If you aren't ready to do freehand flowers there are sites with small patterns you can download and make iron-on transfers.)

After I made the flower, I added the yellow bead for it's center.  Then, I added a yellow bead about 1/4-inch from my flower on each side of it.  I liked how this looked so I stopped there.

On the shorts I chose a place for a similar flower.  Mine is on the left side of the shorts 1 & 1/8-inch from the bottom of the shorts and 1/2-inch from the side seam.  Here too, I made a "Lazy Daisy" flower and placed a yellow bead in it for it's center.  Then, I added 2 yellow beads for accent close to the flower.

I think the flowers gave the outfit a more complete look and made it more feminine.  I plan to decorate more of my clothing with embroidery work and beads in the future.

Happy sewing!

Sarafina

Note from Kyle:  Thank you Sarafina for this great idea and for helping me catch up on my posts.



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea for making the shorts and tops match as well as more fun. I will have to talk mama into getting out her embrodery stuff and do that with some of our plain shirts and shorts/pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a very cool way to make your plain shirts and shorts dressed up and girlyfied. I will have to ask mama to make some for me thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete